Sunday, December 13, 2015

Song Of The Week: 12/13/15







Song: "My Lion Heart"

Artist: I Am The Avalanche

Album: "Wolverines"

Year: 2014

Place Of Origin: Brooklyn, New York

Years Active: 2004-present



WHAT I THINK THE SONG IS ABOUT:

"My Lion Heart" appears to be a song about breaking out of the darkness of what your life was and learning to enjoy every moment life has to offer. Once the vocalist got that little spark that changed his outlook on life, he embraced every moment of every day from there on. He realized that before he wasted so much time, so much of his life on negative vibes. Now, he cherishes each new day and has a much more positive outlook.

I AM THE AVALANCHE DISCOGRAPHY (Full length albums only):

2005 - "I Am The Avalanche" (Drive-Thru Records)
2011 - "Avalanche United" (I Surrender Records)
2014 - "Wolverines" (I Surrender Records)

CURRENT STATUS OF I AM THE AVALANCHE:

I Am The Avalanche formed as a band back in 2004, hailing from Brooklyn, New York. Songwriter, vocalist and founder, Vinnie Caruana was already a staple in the New York punk scene as the vocalist for the band The Movielife. After that band disbanded, Caruana created I Am The Avalanche as his new project. The band's debut was in 2005, a self titled release. For whatever reason, the band did not release another album till 2011, 6 long years between their debut and their sophmore effort. Perhaps the wait was worth it as "Avalanche United" was critically acclaimed and it reached #9 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart. Their last album, 2014's "Wolverines", was a labor of love according to Caruana. A really solid album that reached #108 on the Billboard 200 charts. The band also released 2 split EP's, one with Bayside and the other with The Early November. The band has been featured on several festival tours, including the Warped Tour, Bamboozle Fest and Australia's Soundwave Festival and they have shared the stage alongside punk contemporaries such as Bayside, The Sleeping, No Use For A Name, Senses Fail, Bouncing Souls, The Loved Ones and Brand New. Currently, I Am The Avalanche most recently toured with Saves The Day in support of "Wolverines". Caruana has also played some reunion shows with The Movielife in 2015 as well. I Am The Avalanche seems to take their time between releases so it's unknown to what the future holds right now. The reunion shows with The Movielife could mean that Caruana has some intentions of working with that band again on new material, though that is not confirmed. I Am The Avalanche has it's similarities to The Movielife. Kind of a melodic/hardcore sound with the scratchy vocals of Caruana at the forefront. While The Movielife has the cult status, I think I Am The Avalanche is the more evolved band, especially their last 2 albums. Those 2 albums are some of the best punk rock that has come out in some time. Here's hoping that new material comes out sooner rather than later for I Am The Avalanche, but with their track record between albums, I'm not expecting something new till probably 2017 or 2018.

TEN I AM THE AVALANCHE SONGS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

1. Green Eyes
2. New Disaster
3. Brooklyn Dodgers
4. The Shape I'm In
5. Holy Fuck
6. Two Runaways
7. I Took A Beating
8. Conan O'Brien
9. 177
10. Symphony

No comments:

Post a Comment