Saturday, August 22, 2020

SONG OF THE WEEK: 8/23/20




Song:  "White Ghost"

Artist:  The Snips

Album:  "Blackouts"

Year:  2010

Place Of Origin:  Welland, Ontario, Canada

Years Active:  1999 - 2013



WHAT I THINK THE SONG IS ABOUT:

I'm not totally sure what "White Ghost" is about! I can't find the lyrics anywhere on the net so it's hard to digest all the lyrics by listening. I know the vocalist says he can't sleep at night and there's a white ghost in his room or his house or something like that. Maybe it's about something that's eating at him or something that's stressing him out. I'd love to get a hold of the lyrics so I can try to get a feel of what the vocalist is singing about.

THE SNIPS DISCOGRAPHY (Full length albums only):

2006 - Check Your Audio (The Union Label Group)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

2012 - Highs Of Low (Badassed Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

MY THOUGHTS ON THE SNIPS:

The Snips formed as a band back in 1999, hailing from Ontario, Canada. Originally, they were called the Ceremonial Snips. The first taste of the band came in 2004 with the release of the EP, "Fuck The Pain Bring The Noise". In 2006, the band released their debut full length studio album, "Check Your Audio". As the Ceremonial Snips, the band played a little faster and their songs all featured a horn section. I wouldn't call them fully ska but horns were prevalent in pretty much all their songs. At some point between 2006 and 2009, the band changed their name to The Snips. The band also incorporated a more streamlined punk/rock sound, with less horns though they do serve as accent pieces to some of their songs. As The Snips, the band's first release was the EP "Blackouts". The band's most recent release, and what would come to be their last, was the full length album "Highs Of Low" which dropped in 2012. I first heard of The Snips from their "Blackouts" EP. I liked what I heard right away. The track "Black Leather Vest" from that EP is my favorite track by the band. After buying "Highs Of Low", I worked my way back through their catalog to discover some of their material as the Ceremonial Snips. I must say, I was glad they shifted to less horns and more punk rock in the vein of The Flatliners, The Riot Before and Polar Bear Club. That style of punk rock has really been what i've been feeling as far as music goes i'd say for the last 10 or 15 years or so. I really dig the melodic style and the scratchy vocals, without sounding like a "cookie monster" band!! As I said earlier, the band does incorporate horns but not as much as they used to and I definitely wouldn't classify their sound as ska, which i'm not a huge fan of. Unfortunately, The Snips played their farewell show on August 29, 2013 and are no longer a band. This band seemed to have some potential, but I'd grade them as a 3rd tier, borderline 2nd tier melodic punk band. If they continued in the direction they were going with "Blackouts" and "Highs Of Low" I'd probably definitely call them 2nd tier. They're really good. Just not Flatliners good.

SIMILAR ARTISTS:

The Riot Before
The Holy Mess
How Dare You
The Sainte Catherines
Timeshares

TEN THE SNIPS SONGS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

1. Black Leather Vest
2. Meeting Place
3. Tired Tires
4. Old Engines
5. Digital Letter
6. Check Your Audio
7. Blood Maps
8. Lines
9. Gazebo Of Love
10. Days Deflate

No comments:

Post a Comment