Saturday, November 28, 2020

SONG OF THE WEEK: 11/29/20




SONG:  "Feel Past The Words"

ARTIST:  Staring Back

ALBUM:  "On"

YEAR:  2002

PLACE OF ORIGIN:  Goleta, California

YEARS ACTIVE:  1997 - 2005



WHAT I THINK THE SONG IS ABOUT:

I'm not totally positive what "Feel Past The Words" is about, but I almost get a sense that the vocalist is dying and about to cross over to the afterlife and he wants to assure his loved one that he will be ok and the other side is beautiful. I'm not sure if he committed suicide. It seems more peaceful that that so i'm thinking it's natural causes. Like I said, I could be dead wrong about this interpretation but, hey, that's what I got from the lyrics.

STARING BACK DISCOGRAPHY (Full length albums only):

1999 - The Mean Streets Of Goleta (Lobster Records)
2000 - Many Will Play (Lobster Records)
2002 - On (Lobster Records)

MY THOUGHTS ON STARING BACK:

Staring Back formed as a band back in 1997, hailing from Goleta, California. Former Lagwagon drummer Derrick Plourde was actually a founding member of Staring Back but he didn't stay in the band for long. The band quickly signed a deal with Lobster Records and released their first album, "The Mean Streets Of Goleta" in 1999. The band quickly followed that up with 2000's "Many Will Play". In 2002, the band dropped what I thought was their best effort, "On". The band evaporated in 2005 when Ryan Mendez departed Staring Back to join Yellowcard. Staring Back was a pop punk/melodic punk band that was really under the radar. I believe the first song I heard by them was "Six Eyes Too Far Away" from their "Many Will Play" album. I believe I heard that song on a compilation album because "Many Will Play" was the last album I got from them. In my mind, "On" was my favorite album by Staring Back. This album has to be their most polished album. They made a video for the song "Version 2.0" and that's my favorite song by the band. These guys cut their teeth by supporting bands like Strung Out and Lagwagon and they played the 2004 Warped Tour as well. They really never had crossover success and they didn't last very long as a band. If you had three levels or tiers of pop/melodic punk bands, I would put them in the third tier. That is not disrespect. I like the band and their music, there are just a lot of better bands in that genre. 

SIMILAR ARTISTS:

Don't Look Down
The Fully Down
The Gamits
Divit
Enemy You

TEN STARING BACK SONGS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

1. Version 2.0
2. What You Came For
3. Quick
4. Joey
5. Note To Self:  Don't Feel Dead
6. Six Eyes Too Far Away
7. X. Out
8. Every Other Day
9. Many Will Play, Few Will Win
10. The End


No comments:

Post a Comment