Saturday, February 6, 2021

SONG OF THE WEEK: 2/7/21




SONG:  "Come Back"

ARTIST:  Pearl Jam

ALBUM:  "Pearl Jam"

YEAR:  2006



IN MEMORIAM:

Robert "The General" Roberto
1940 - 2021

Everyone who knows me knows that I'm not a religious person. So much so, that when I attend a wake and approach the casket, lots of times I'm just kind of rambling thoughts in my mind. It's not a prayer. I wouldn't know a prayer. What could I say to the father of one of my best friends since 1st grade. I kept it simple. Thank you. Thank you for allowing us into your home and making us feel like family. I look at my core group of friends. Guys I have known now for decades. These guys aren't my friends. They're my brothers. The General was like an extra Dad to all of us. As we grew from street hockey playing kids to 21 year olds who loved getting smashed, The General opened his home to us. And yes, most of the time we were loud. Most of the times we were sloppy drunk. Hell, sometimes there was even fights! I think back and say we could've been doing this somewhere where we could get into all kinds of trouble. By letting us have somewhere safe to be young and stupid probably is a huge reason why we are so close as friends. It was our hang out. My friend Mike's Dad, and his Mom Angela who passed away a few years ago as well, were always generous to all of us. I remember many a New Year's Eve, going upstairs and hanging out with The General and the rest of his family. He was always quick to offer you food, which I always accepted! Or a glass of Dewar's and water, which I always accepted as well! And no matter what time you went by the house, it seemed The General always had a sausage going on the stove. He had them at the ready at those New Year's Eve parties at midnight and he had them at the ready when I went to his house at 10 in the morning to pick up football cards!! No matter what, Mike's Dad and Mom always welcomed you into their home. They always wanted to shoot the shit with you over a cup of coffee. I always felt like I could just be myself around The General and Angela, aka The Commander In Chief!! Even moreso than with some of my own family members. There are so many stories I can go through and so many memories that I have with my friends and a huge foundation of those happened in The General's basement, aka The Blue Room. We have grown into who we are today because of those times. And sure, we all stink, but ya know what, I think we're actually alright. So, as I kneeled before your casket General, I just wanted to thank you for your generosity and your kindness. I know you and Angela are together somewhere in spirit. And always know that your son always has friends who will always have his back. I want to say I'm sorry to Michael and the whole Roberto family for the loss of their Dad just a few days ago, as well as their Mom just a few years ago. 

Rest in peace..






No comments:

Post a Comment