Saturday, December 30, 2023

SONG OF THE WEEK: 12-31-2023




SONG:  "Sewn Up"

ARTIST:  Mercy Music

ALBUM:  "Until The End Of Your World"

YEAR:  2018

PLACE OF ORIGIN:  Las Vegas, Nevada

YEARS ACTIVE:  2014 - present



WHAT I THINK THE SONG IS ABOUT:

I can't find the lyrics anywhere on the net for "Sewn Up". I know in the first verse, it seems he's tearing someone up! I just don't want to say one way or the other what I think the song is about if I don't have the lyrics in front of me. I'll be sure to edit this if I stumble upon the lyrics.

MERCY MUSIC DISCOGRAPHY (Full length albums only):

2014 - When I Die, I'm Taking You With Me (SquidHat Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

2018 - Until The End Of Your World (La Escalera Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

2020 - Nothing In The Dark (Wiretap Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

2023 - What You Stand To Lose (SBAM Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

MY THOUGHTS ON MERCY MUSIC:

Mercy Music got their start back in 2014, hailing from Las Vegas. What started out as kind of an acoustic project for vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Brendan Scholz, eventually turned into a 3 piece band. The guys dropped their debut full length in 2014, titled "When I Die, I'm Taking You With Me". They followed that up with 2018's "Until The End Of Your World". 2020 saw the band release "Nothing In The Dark". Mercy Music's most recent release was the 2023 full length "What You Stand To Lose". Mercy Music is definitely rooted in pop punk but they definitely incorporate some straight rock sound and even show off some bluesy elements to their sound. Even though they have been a band for almost 10 years now, I kinda consider them a new band. At least they are relatively new to me. I've been listening to them since their 2018 album "Until The End Of Your World" came out and lately, I've been really checking them out. Mercy Music is a very solid band. Sometimes you buy an album from a band, give it a listen or two, then kinda lose track of them. That kinda happened to me with Mercy Music. Going back and listening to them and getting more of their catalogue has really turned me into a big fan of these guys. They write some real catchy shit and the bluesy stuff, like a song like "Pretend", really blew me away. These guys should be checked out for sure!

SIMILAR ARTISTS:

Tightwire
The Carolyn
Western Settings
Winning Streak
Kid You Not

TEN MERCY MUSIC SONGS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

1. Suddenly
2. Song For
3. Love You/Need You
4. Hang Your Head
5. Found Out I'm Useless
6. Pretend
7. Living With A Ghost
8. Nothing In The Dark
9. Undone
10. Fine


No comments:

Post a Comment