Saturday, March 30, 2024

SONG OF THE WEEK: 3-31-2024




SONG:  "Waking The Demon"

ARTIST:  Bullet For My Valentine

ALBUM:  "Live From Brixton:  Chapter Two, Night One"

YEAR:  2017

PLACE OF ORIGIN:  Brigend, Wales

YEARS ACTIVE:  1998 - present



WHAT I THINK THE SONG IS ABOUT:

Here's what Bullet For My Valentine's lead vocalist Matt Tuck had to say about "Waking The Demon". "Waking the Demon" is about finding someone's inner demon. Most of us in the band got pushed around in school so the song is about getting tormented, day in and day out for years, and then one day – 'snap!' – fight back!" I chose a live version for my song of the week. You can check out Bullet For My Valentine's 2008 album "Scream Aim Fire" to hear the original.

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE DISCOGRAPHY (Full length albums only):

2005 - The Poison (Visible Noise Records)
* peaked at #128 on the Billboard 200
* certified gold

2008 - Scream Aim Fire (Jive Records)
* peaked at #4 on the Billboard 200

2010 - Fever (Jive Records)
* peaked at #3 on the Billboard 200

2013 - Temper Temper (RCA Records)
* peaked at #13 on the Billboard 200

2015 - Venom (RCA Records)
* peaked at #8 on the Billboard 200

2017 - Live From Brixton:  Chapter Two, Night One (Spinefarm Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

2017 - Live From Brixton:  Chapter Two, Night Two (Spinefarm Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

2018 - Gravity (Spinefarm Records)
* peaked at #17 on the Billboard 200

2021 - Bullet For My Valentine (Spinefarm Records)
* peaked at #153 on the Billboard 200

MY THOUGHTS ON BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE:

Bullet For My Valentine got it's start back in 1998, hailing from Brigend, Wales. Originally, the band was called Jeff Killed John and their style was kinda nu-metal in the same vein as bands like Korn. They released a few EP's under this moniker, but in 2003, the band shifted their sound to a more proper metal infused hard rock style and changed their name to Bullet For My Valentine. Their first release under their new moniker was a self-titled EP in 2004. The band dropped their debut full length album in 2005 with "The Poison". They splashed big with this debut album, eventually the album would be certified gold. The band followed that album up with 2008's "Scream Aim Fire". Though a really solid album, the band has stated that this album was made more for their critics than for themselves. 2010's "Fever" was the album they made for themselves, fuck the critics! "Fever" would be the band's highest charting album, peaking at #3 on the Billboard 200 chart. BFMV kept the ball rolling with major label releases through RCA Records in 2013 with "Temper Temper" and 2015 with "Venom". As of 2017, Bullet For My Valentine has been putting out albums through Spinefarm Records, beginning with 2018's "Gravity" and the band's most recent release, 2021's "Bullet For My Valentine". Bullet For My Valentine is one of those bands that seemed like they were initially more accepted by punk rock crowds on Warped Tours before they were embraced by metal fans of tours like Ozzfest. I can see why. Though you can definitely hear the metal influences in their music, they also can bring a melodic form of hard rock music. I think their style reminds me a bit of Iron Maiden, with the use of melodic dual  guitar solos and stuff like that. I think the first song I heard by these guys was "4 Words (To Choke Upon)" and they had me hooked early. I definitely lean more towards grunge and punk bands more than metal, but I dig some metal influenced music. Bullet sometimes gets some shit for not going all out metal or all out whatever, but I think they're great at whatever the fuck they do! They write great songs at the end of the day, no matter what genre anyone wants to pigeonhole them in.

SIMILAR ARTISTS:

Avenged Sevenfold
Escape The Fate
A Day To Remember
Corey Taylor
Godsmack

TEN BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE SONGS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

1. Hearts Burst Into Fire
2. Tears Don't Fall
3. Knives
4. Your Betrayal
5. 4 Words (To Choke Upon)
6. Fever
7. No Way Out
8. Don't Need You
9. Ace Of Spades (Motorhead cover)
10. Temper, Temper


No comments:

Post a Comment