Sunday, May 11, 2014

Song Of The Week: 5/11/14








Song: "Light Years"

Artist: Pearl Jam

Album: "Binaural"

Year: 2000



Usually my blog on my "song of the week" features a short possible meaning of the song and then goes on into a quick history, highlights and achievements of the band who performed the song. This week is different. I chose "Light Years" by Pearl Jam as a tribute to a friend of mine who left this Earth much too soon. As I write this, I realize that today is Mother's Day. The one thing that any mother, and father, should never have to do is bury their child. That is not the cycle of life. Unfortunately, this is the sad truth as of a couple of days ago as my friend was found by his mother, not breathing and unresponsive. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Right now, it still seems unreal to me. I know it will hit home and become real at the wake and funeral. I've known this person for almost twenty years. He had his issues, but who doesn't? Sometimes, addictions are hard to overcome. I don't want to speculate, but I thought my friend got through those struggles. Now.. I'm not so sure. At his worst, I thought he would be gone more than 10 years ago. It was pretty bad, but like I said, I thought he overcame all that stuff. Whatever the cause, it really doesn't matter at this point. He's gone and he's not coming back. My heart goes out to his Mom, Dad and brother and also all of his friends and family. I'm not a very religious guy, but I guess you could say I'm spiritual and I do believe that your spirit lives on. I hope wherever you've gone, you are happy and at peace.


Rest In Peace,

Vinny Candelora

No comments:

Post a Comment