Saturday, November 11, 2023

SONG OF THE WEEK: 11-12-2023




SONG:  "The Big Shakedown"

ARTIST:  Requiem

ALBUM:  "The Unexplainable Truth"

YEAR:  2014

PLACE OF ORIGIN:  Santa Cruz, California

YEARS ACTIVE:  2011 - ????



WHAT I THINK THE SONG IS ABOUT:

I'm not quite positive what "The Big Shakedown" is about. Can't find the lyrics anywhere on the web and because the band incorporates what I like to call some "cookie monster" vocals, it's hard to figure out every lyric. If I had to guess, seeing that Requiem is kinda like a goth punk band, the song has to be about some sort of despair, or being held back or left behind or whatever! Typical goth type lyrics!

REQUIEM DISCOGRAPHY (Full length albums only):

2011 - Always And Forever (self-released)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

2014 - The Unexplainable Truth (Cleopatra Records)
* did not chart on the Billboard 200

MY THOUGHTS ON REQUIEM:

Requiem formed as a band back in 2011, hailing from Santa Cruz, California. Vocalist Steven Juliano used to be the vocalist of another goth/punk band called I Am Ghost. Requiem is just basically an extension of that band. Originally the band was called Requiem For The Dead but they changed that moniker to just Requiem in 2014. The band dropped their debut album in 2011, the self-released "Always And Forever". After that, they dropped an EP in 2013 called "Memories". The band's final release would be 2014's "The Unexplainable Truth". As I said earlier, Requiem basically has a goth/punk vibe. They incorporate some gutteral vocals with mostly clean vocals. I was a fan of Steven Juliano's first band I Am Ghost, so naturally, I checked out Requiem pretty much when they first came out. They are a good band, nothing spectacular. They have their moments. I believe these guys are done as a band though I haven't really found anything official about that. They dropped their last album in 2014 and I believe played their last show some time in 2015 so, I think that pretty much adds up to them being broken up at this point in 2023. I found out that vocalist Steven Juliano is doing a lot of art now and writing novels as well. So, I pretty much think that Requiem is a wrap!

SIMILAR ARTISTS:

I Am Ghost
I Am Empire
Reverse The Curse
The Black Maria
Endless Hallway

TEN REQUIEM SONGS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

1. The Deathnote Of Shipwrecks
2. Sticks And Stones And Her Lovely Bones
3. Ghost Of Winter
4. Where The Hell Did The Romance Go
5. Sad Boy Meets Sad Girl
6. Say Hello To The Devil For Me
7. I'm No Angel
8. The Unexplainable Truth
9. Always And Forever
10. Lost But Not Forgotten:  A Suite


No comments:

Post a Comment