Sunday, May 8, 2016

Song Of The Week: 5/8/16







Song: "Terry's Song"

Artist: Bruce Springsteen

Album: "Magic"

Year: 2007



IN MEMORIAM:

VIC TENAGLIA
1972-2016



This week's "song of the week" is more about being a tribute to a friend who has passed much too soon than just an explanation of a song meaning or info about the band or artist who performed it. I'm not much of a Springsteen fan, but my friend Vic was very much so. I remember at an old local bar we used to all go to, in the midst of playing a bunch of punk and grunge songs on the jukebox, we had to always throw in a Springsteen song or two for Vic. He'd be loaded on Wild Turkey, belting out "The River" , "Hungry Heart" or "Glory Days". I miss those times a lot now a days. I know, as we all get older, it seems that times like those are getting to be few and far between. It's harder and harder for everyone to get together and tie one on like in the good old days. Some of that is just making the time. Some of it is just being lazy. My friend Vic had a lot of things going on health wise. He had both hips replaced, he needed a kidney and he was a diabetic, which doesn't help anything. When I heard he had passed from a heart attack, I was floored. It could very well have been a broken heart. He took his mother's death pretty hard a few years ago, which most of us would. He also lost his brother no more than three weeks before his own death. I hadn't heard much from Vic in the months prior to his death. I worked with him, but he had been out of work for years with all of his ailments. Sometimes I get mad at myself for not putting forth more of an effort to connect with not only Vic, but all of my friends. I have, what I consider, a very tight knit group of friends. Most of us have known each other since we were teenagers. Where we used to hang out all the time, now we get together for a couple trips a year and the occasional backyard bbq. I think when you lose someone, you always look back and wish you did this or did that. I wish I stayed in touch more. I wish I wasn't so lazy or when I thought to give Vic a call or a text, I did it instead of getting caught up in something else. Vic is the fourth friend that I have lost that has passed away much too soon. It's hard to see the parents of these guys and the pain they have to deal with. Parents are not supposed to bury their children. Life's just not supposed to be that way. Unfortunately, this happens everyday. It really makes you cherish the time you have with your family and friends because you never know when it's your time or someone who is close to you. So to Vic, I'll miss your "reminiscing" about the same stories, over, and over, and over, and over again!! I'll miss the plethora of Almond Joys that used to fall out of your socks!! I'll miss your "miserable" attitude that made you who you were!! And I'll miss all the conversations about eating and food in general!! Fat Man Inc. is down to two brother. Rest in peace Vic.

No comments:

Post a Comment